I was walking around the Quirinale (the presidential palace hill), coming home from a boring debate on photography in
Sanpietrini (the name cames from “
So I started to wonder where are, in Roma, the borders between roads paved with sanpietrini and tarmac. The spot where I had the idea really looked like a border: a small police post guarding the presidential palace was perfectly lined up with it. In the slideshow below you can find other examples of such borders, captured on my walk back home. I tried to take pictures of people crossing them (in the roads around the Quirinale I managed to get some martial pictures of military “crossing borders”) looking at maps on them (this faulty lines seems to confuse lost tourists), or simply hanging around. Sometimes these borders would divide a road by the length, and people would do different things on different surfaces (e.g. walking or reading books). If I was serious about it I should map where the sanpietrini are, and start probably with the original sanpietrini around St Peter. Anyway, for now I was only toying with the idea.
Last but not list, this bridges between a borders and faith project (in restrospect I should have pushed for faith.. Roma would have been the perfect spot!)
3 comments:
Hi Silva, I like the look of some of these, they remind me of a turning tide on the river. Also really like the street artist with the angel, do you have any more of him? I think I may have gone round to have the angel looming over him rather than from an angle.Cheers.
hi silva,
this is a very good post. i like it because your idea starts at something personal and with some emotion...it made me think of the "stage" in street photography, where for example, you identify that spot, with the border and the police shack, set it up, wait for best light and action, maybe for days, until you become invisible, and make the picture...bUT, what would these specific images say ? liek you say, you are toying...but this could be a first layer of the project, upon which you build and develop this idea of borders in Roma. first you see the literal border on the road coverings, something reminiscent of your childhood...where does it go from there...? thank you for your thoughts!
very interesting start to the project there Silva.....i really like the idea, and as Antrim put it the connection with your own past. good inspiring read there...
Post a Comment